[Mplayer-users] Re: DGA trouble

Tomek Jarzynka tomee at cpi.pl
Sun Sep 2 10:09:47 CEST 2001

You wrote:
> Yeah, sure it works with good notebooks. I watch also a lot of
> movies on my laptop, but you need to have a good one. At least
> a fast cpu, a fast chipset and a graphics card supporting at least
> DGA. If you have a neomagic chips set it basicaly means that you
> bought a cheap one, maybe with a slow cpu and with a (IMHO)
> totally unusable graphic cards. I had to much experiences with
> such notebooks :-/

Well, that's a windows user approach.
Firstly, nm chipsets, or nm2160 specifically, was designed to be
a mid-end laptop chipset. My laptop is around like 3 years old,
and it used to be quite costy then, I wouldn't call an IBM 600
a shitty piece of hardware. And after all, there weren't many
other chipsets those 3 years ago, perhaps more expensive neomagic's,
S3 (now THAT'S SHIT), Trident and perhaps an ATI. Not any better.

As for the divx plyback, I told you, with an _UNACCELERATED_ vesafb
driver I can watch almost all divx smoothly (with a framedrop of 5f
per minute or something around that). It proves my laptop _IS_ capable
of playing back divx movies. The only drawback is the resolution:
I have to specify it at boot-time, I use native 1024x768 for work,
and rebooting into 640x480 just to watch movies isn't the best approach
IMO. On the other hand, DGA can switch resolutions, being a better
solution, not to mention it's (at least partial) supported by an,
more or less, _ACCELERATED_ driver. Never mind the pixels being rescaled,
looking not to good on a LCD, I can cope with that.

And finally, as for the DGA stuff: the driver is broken because the
implementation changed and nobody put an effort to rewrite it so far.

--
Tomasz Jarzynka, tomee@{slackware|cpi}.pl 0601706601

"It's a little known fact that the Dark Ages were caused by unresolved Y1K
issues."