[Mplayer-users] Using older GCC on recent distros

Tomi Ollila Tomi.Ollila at sonera.com
Tue Sep 4 07:17:21 CEST 2001

Monday Sep 3 21:08:57 -0700 2001 Aaron Newsome <anewsome at anewsome.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone. I have been watching the mplayer project for some time but I
> have yet been able to try it. The information page says that to compile it
> I have to downgrade from my gcc 2.96. I really want to try compiling the
> player, but I think I might screw up my entire Linux installation
> attempting to downgrade my compiler.
>
> Does anyone have any specifics on how they have downgraded gcc on recent
> Mandrake or Redhat, which all seem to use 2.96?
>
> Any words of wisdom that help me get mplayer working on my machine will be
> greatly appreciated.

First, go to http://www.rpmfind.net, search for `gcc' and install the
latest gcc 2.96 you find from the page for your distribution: like
gcc-2.96-85.i386.rpm for RH 7.0 or 7.1...

(you may need to upgrade some other packages too).

Try  ./configure --disable-gcc-checking, and then compile the whole
beast.

Try it. If it works, fine. If not, don't send bugreports to the list,
but you may email me about the problems.

> I am realyl anxious to try out mplayer, which seems to outdo all of my
> current players that I have laying around like aviplay, xmovie, xanim,
> mtv, xmmp and aktion. Seems kinda silly to have 10 different players on my
> machine, so you can see why I am anxious to get this mplayer working.
>
> Please reply to my email address, as I am not a list member.
>
> Thanks in advance, Aaron Newsome

Tomi