[Mplayer-users] Using older GCC on recent distros

Steve Stavropoulos steve at math.upatras.gr
Tue Sep 4 16:49:52 CEST 2001

Go to
ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS
and download the gcc 2.96 and gcc 3.0.1 package. Then try to upgrade your
gcc and give:
rpm -Uvh gcc*
you 'll see you 'll need some other packages too. Get them from the same
URL and try the upgrading again. Eventually the Upgrade will be done and
your new compiler will be gcc3 (you 'll also keep the old (the latest
version of it) as gcc).
 To compile mplayer give:
export CC=gcc3
./configure
make
make install
Congratulations, you have installed the best movie player ever written!