[Mplayer-users] Any success playing VCDs on PCMCIA SCSI CDROM's?

Shang Shan Chong chong2 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Sep 7 19:01:13 CEST 2001

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 06:50:10PM +0200, Dariusz Pietrzak wrote:

> > PCMCIA SCSI CDROM. Does anyone have a similar problem? Is this a
> off the top of my head - ln -s /dev/scd0(or wherever your cdrom dev lies)
> /dev/cdrom; mplayer -vcd 1
>
> maybe?

This is already done, but it does not work. Neither does

     mplayer -vcd 1 /dev/sr0

work. I've checked the docs and kernel 2.2.18pre21 does claim to have
to VCD reading patch. mplayer works excellently on my other computer
which has an IDE CDROM.

As for upgrading the kernel, it's a lot of work, becuase of of pcmcia
modules, and a ton of other cards which I've already tweaked to make
work with this kernel. I would prefer not to do this, if possible.

I've also tried this with xine, and mtv, and they all have problems
with this configuration! OTOH, Windows plays VCD's just fine on this!

css.
--
Shang-Shan CHONG