[Mplayer-users] graphics card

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Sep 13 13:07:29 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > I'm buying a new computer
> > and looking for a graphics card
> > to play movies (with mplayer :=)
> > witch one is the best
> > for this purpose
> I can recommend the NVidia Geforce 2 Based cards, and the ATI Radeon based
> cards also. I tried both. They works well, with 4.1.0 X they can stretch
> the image (You don't need a too big CPU), etc.

heh. I personally do not recommended any nvidia card, because of they poor
unstable closedsource linux drivers.
Radeon drivers are under heavy development, so they are ok, but maybe not
yet perfect...
Matrox cards are well supported, especially mplayer has special matrox
driver too, but G450 ha sno TVout support under linux, and has poor 3D
performance compared to radeon/geforce.

If you only want to watch movies, and 3D doesn't matter, then I really
recommend a cheap ATI card, mach64 (==rage pro) or rage 128 based.
I'm using ATI Xpert 98 with success at work.

If the price doesn't matter, nor the 3D, but you want maximum video quality
and speed, buy a matrox g400/g450.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu