[Mplayer-users] performance low when using svgalib?

erwin hermans herrie at damien.kotnet.org
Tue Sep 18 01:03:39 CEST 2001

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Arpi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > I've recognized a big performance loss when plaing DVDs with the svga output
> > > without any X running. In fact the movie is playing well but sound is out of
> > > sync 5-10 seconds or so (can't fix it with -/+)
> >
> > Maybe you could try running mplayer with the switch -abs 4096000 This way
> > approximately 4MB is reserved as an audio buffer. I had the same problem
> ROTFL :)
>
> you misunderstood dox!
> -abs specifies how big is the _hardware_ buffer of your audio device,
Well, the manpage says

-abs bytes
              audio buffer size (in bytes, default: measuring)

So I assumed it was the software buffer size. My mistake. :)

> it is used to calculate audio delay. (normally this value is autodetected,
> but some driver is buggy so we allow to override it)
> it won't affect how big audio buffer is allocated!
> btw, from libao2, -abs option isn't used at all, except for oss drivers
> which has no ODELAY ioctl!

Well, my default audio driver is oss, so maybe I was lucky with that.

> > on my alpha, but this little trick seemed to fix it.
> are you sure? :)

With most Divx ;-) movies I now no longer have a sync problem, unless I
forward or rewind a lot, maybe because I use the oss driver.

Or maybe it's just good old magic, who knows :)