[Mplayer-users] Mandrake 8.1 + gcc 3.0.1

Tomi Ollila Tomi.Ollila at iki.fi
Fri Sep 21 06:54:07 CEST 2001

Thursday Sep 20 16:39:16 +0200 2001 Jens Henrik Goebbert <jenshenrik.goebbert at gmx.de> wrote:

> This is what is written in FAQ's but it is _wrong_!
> +----------------------------------------------------------------
> +Q:
> + Great, I have gcc 3.0.1 from RedHat/Mandrake, then I'm fine--!
> +A:
> + No :) Their gcc 3.0.1 was compiled with gcc 2.96, so they are
> +buggy shit too.
> +----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Mandrake (about Mandrake 8.1 RC1) wrote:
> >They should read the FAQ about how gcc is built or simplier, how compilers are
> >bootstrapped. This question and answer is complete *non-sense*. The gcc3 binary
> >you use is compiled with... gcc3 from a previous stage.

I suggest that FAQ entry is removed from the list. It is good for 2 things
only
1) Give some users wrong implession of the problem
2) Make FAQ editors too stupid to understand the issue ;/

If I remember correctly, the "final" gcc is built up doing (if not making
cross compiler):

1) Compile the tree w/ current (or some other) compiler. This may be:

gcc-3.0, gcc-2.96, gcc-2.95. egcs-1.2. gcc-2.7.2. Sun CC. Tru64 CC,
HPUX CC, SGI CC, ecc, etc...

2) recompile gcc with the (x)gcc got from step 1

3) recompile gcc with the (x)gcc got from step 2. Compare whether the gcc
binaries from step 2 and step 3 are identical. If not, there is some
problems.

This should make it prettu sure that (possible) bugs from previous
compilers are not probagated to the next one. If this was not be
the case, bugs from many previous compilers would have propagated
to the current one.

> So ... in MPlayer ready for gcc 3.0.1 ?
> And if yes... under what circumstances ?

Good question. I'd like to know too. A FAQ issue ?

> Bye
>     Jens Henrik

Tomi