[Mplayer-users] Mandrake 8.1 + gcc 3.0.1

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Fri Sep 21 19:07:48 CEST 2001

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 07:54:07AM +0300, Tomi Ollila wrote:
> > So ... in MPlayer ready for gcc 3.0.1 ?
> > And if yes... under what circumstances ?
>
> Good question. I'd like to know too. A FAQ issue ?

The question is the wrong thing not the answer :) I mean: current gcc3
releases have got problems with other softwares too, not just mplayer.
BTW, when I last checked out the result of compiling both of gcc 2.95
and gcc 3.0 I've got SLOWER and BIGGER code with gcc3 than gcc 2.95!
[This test was checked Arpi as well if I can remember ...]

And there was some problems with compiling. Also I tried to test the
performance and speed of binaries created with 3 and 2.95 versions of
mplayer. The average result ("the feeling"):

1. gcc 3 creates BIGGER binaries
2. gcc 3 creates SLOWER binaries
3. gcc 3 has got problems with MANY-MANY sources which compiles with 2.95
   without a single problem even with -Wall and -Werror.

But as I can remember it was only 3.0.0 or so not gcc 3.0.1. Tests
(speed benchmarks, binary sizes compared to programs compiled with gcc
2.95 are welcome ...)

- Gabor

--
 --[ Gábor Lénárt ]---[ Vivendi Telecom Hungary ]---------[ lgb at lgb.hu ]--
 U have 8 bit comp or chip of them and it's unused or to be sold? Call me!