[Mplayer-users] gcc version for RedHat7.1 a little "off topic"

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 26 13:42:32 CEST 2001

On Wednesday, 26. September 2001 13:12, ForeveR wrote:
> >  The RedHat gcc had some problems but the latests editions of it are ok.
> > Although the community doesn't believe in RH gcc and recommends using gcc
> > 3 or some older than gcc 2.95 compiler.
> >
> > The rawhide thing is a repository for RH to put all the packages for
> > testing. There you can find the latest versions but it's not a release or
> > anything like that, just packages for testing.
>
> Great!
> One little (maybe repeted) question:
> If I take from gnu repository the latest stable gcc sources and I
> compile it with rawhide wersion of gcc will  this gcc be fully
> functional or still influenced by the "testing vesion"?
As far as I'm concerned it should work. If I correctly understood rcent
discussions the compiler is actually compiled multiple times (bootstrapped)
first with the current compiler and then it recompiles itself with the just
built compiler to check for errors.

--
Best Regards,
	Atmos

_____
The three great virtues of a programmer: laziness, impatience, and hubris.
	- Larry Wall