[MPlayer-users] Mencoder screws up files for Windows Media Player

Alexander Gretencord arutha at gmx.de
Wed Apr 3 18:11:02 CEST 2002

I got mplayer from CVS-020327 but that shouldn't matter much. I've had this
problem with all other versions before that I tried.

Well I do have some serious problems with mencoder here. I'm trying to encode
an mpeg file into a DiVX. Now mplayer and "The Playa" do play the movie fine
but when I try it with Windows Media Player (8.00.00.4477) it won't play the
video but only sound.

Now I tried several options with mencoder. Then I got a file from someone
else which was encoded with mencoder. It plays fine. No I'm not using gcc
2.96 or anything strange. In fact we got the same distribution. If I do -oac
copy -ovc copy I get a different file but it plays too. If I do the same with
some other file (not encoded with mplayer) it plays fine afterwards too but
with a third file it doesn't.

I can also encode the file I got from someone else again with for example
libavcodec and mp3lame and it plays fine. But when I use lameopts to set some
bitrate it suddenly doesn't play in wmp anymore. (Not a problem with vbr!)

The file I really want to be reencoded for now works in wmp if I do a -oac
copy. That should help me for now but I'd really like to be able to encode
all of my videos to my likings without problems.

Has anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong if anything ?

Alex