[MPlayer-users] mencoder: libavcodec encoding

Troy D. Strum tstrum at salter.com
Thu Apr 4 22:29:19 CEST 2002

Hi there.

I encoded a file (libavcodec MPEG4) with this setup:

mencoder -dvd 1 -ovc frameno -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=128:cbr -ofps
23.976 -o frameno.avi

mencoder -dvd 1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=993:vme=5:vqmin=2 -oac copy -ofps 23.976 -o
mpeg4_testmovie_pass_1.avi -pass 1

mencoder -dvd 1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=993:vme=5:vqmin=2 -oac copy -ofps 23.976 -o
mpeg4_testmovie_pass_2.avi -pass 2

Works great on Linux and Windows. I used the Windows DivX player, latest
edition, which supports MPEG4 according to their site. Plays fine on my
Win2K machine (but takes most of my processor... but hey) and plays flawless
under MPlayer (and doesn't take up all my processor, no big surprise there.)
I seem to notice better results playing back DivX as compared to MPEG4 under
windows (different input files with the same basic parameters both ripped in
mencoder), but it's not that big of a difference.

I've compared the 2 passes and there is a big difference between them as far
as blockiness goes - the input DVD has a LOT of action so that is to be
expected. The encoding framerate was faster (21fps vs 14fps or less) for the
lavc encoding than using the odivx codec.

Cheers.

- Troy