[MPlayer-users] Re: DVD trouble

thrift thrift at pa2600.org
Fri Apr 12 08:34:01 CEST 2002

I was also having suspicions that it might be a region code problem, so
I found a command to
set the DVD region, and ran that, and it came up with an error.  I had
been running this on Win2k and
Win98 before I put pure Linux on the system, and the dvd player had ran
then in the ieee1394 case, so
I assumed that it was worth finding out what would happen if I connected
it directly to IDE, so I took the case off as much as I could, and got
it connected to the IDE channel.  Well I booted up Linux, and the DVD
player works perfectly off of IDE.  So I stuffed the drive back in it's
ieee1394 case, hoping now it would work....still the exact same error.
I don't understand this, because I can mount the DVD, just
fine, wich would make me think there are no problems with the case,
interface, or cables, and it was running fine in windows, also I have a
burner in the same type of case beside it, and it works fine...Any more
ideas anyone?  There is a firmware upgrade for the DVD player, it's a
pioneer 106S, but to put it
on, I'm going to have to remove the case and hook it up to a windows
computer, do you think this would
be worth trying?

The command I tried to set the region code with was "regionset" wich
came from "dvd_disc_20000215_css.tar.gz".  The command I tried to run
was:

 ./regionset /dev/scd0

the result was:

ERROR: Could not retreive region code settings of the drive!
Would you like to change the region setting of your drive? [y/n]:y
Enter the new region number for your drive [1..8]:1
New mask: 0xFFFFFFFE, correct? [y/n]:y
ERROR: Region code could not be set!

A>Hi,
A>
A> did you set the region code of teh drive?
A> mayeb it's new one and the key cracking trick doesn't work ...

 T> I've tried changing the permissions around, and running as root,
neither
 T> has had any effect.
 T> I've also checked the kernel, and I definately have SCSI CD support,

 T> wich was needed for SBP2,
 T> to even let me access the ieee1394 DVD through SCSI emulation.  I
 T> checked anything else I could think
 T> of in the kernel, but with no luck...if anybody knows what could be
 T> wrong, please let me know.  If I can't
 T> get anything to work this way, I may try taking the ieee1394 DVD out
of
 T> it's casing and running it over
 T> IDE, or possibly trying another DVD in the ieee1394 case.  Thanks.
 T>
 T>> I have a firewire dvd player, that I am trying to get running with
 T>> mplayer
 T>>
 T>> I am starting mplayer with this command:
 T>>
 T>>mplayer -dvd 1 -dvd-device /dev/scd1
 T>>
 T>> The dvd starts reading and this is the messages that mplayer
returns:

 T>>MPlayer CVS-020409-00:00-2.95.3 (C) 2000-2002 Arpad Gereoffy (see
DOCS)

 T>>CPU vendor name: AuthenticAMD  max cpuid level: 1
 T>>CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon TB Thunderbird (Type: 6,
Stepping:2)
 T>> >extended cpuid-level: 6
 T>>CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
 T>>Compiled with RUNTIME CPU Detection - warning, it's not optimal!To
get
 T>> best performance, >recompile mplayer from sources with
 T>> --disable-runtime-cpudetection
 T>>Reading /home/thrift/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open
 T>> '/home/thrift/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such >file or directory
 T>>Reading /usr/local/share/mplayer/codecs.conf: 30 audio & 81 video
codecs
 T>>font: can't open file: /home/thrift/.mplayer/font/font.desc
 T>>font: can't open file: /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
 T>>Linux RTC init error: No such device
 T>>Using usleep() timing
 T>>Input config file /home/thrift/.mplayer/input.conf parsed : 0 binds
 T>>Playing DVD title 1
 T>>Can't open IFO file: No such file or directory

 FG>Here is your problem right here...I think its either a permissons
 FG>problem or possibly when you compilied the kernel you left out scsi
cd
 FG>support. try running mplayer as root - if that works mess with the
 FG>permissons on /dev/scd1.

 T>>libdvdcss error: css error: ioctl_ReadCopyright failed, make sure
DVD