[MPlayer-users] SBLive! + AC3 SP/DIF Output (ALSA/OSS)

Stefan stefan.mau at web.de
Fri Apr 12 20:33:02 CEST 2002

Hello,

I've tested several ways and it seems that it's impossible with the actual
mplayer CVS to get AC3 SP/DIF output.

- ALSA 0.9  CVS (some said on ALSA mailinglist Digital SP/DIF should work
now!)
works with OGLE and ac3dec, but not with mplayer or video lan client!

- OSS SBLive! driver 2.4.18
doesn't work with mplayer, but is doing fine with other programs like Video
Lan Client (although some said on this mailinglist OSS driver is buggy and
doesn't work :)

Maybe a more experienced C programmer like me could take a look at the
Video Lan Client implementation of the SP/DIF SBLive! out driver and could
fix the mplayer module to get OSS support for the SBLive! because the ALSA
drivers are still very buggy!

thx for your help, you developers are doing great work ;)
 - Stefan

I use ALSA 0.9.0beta12 and the Digital Output works fine in other Audio Apps,
except mplayer. There comes the same crappy noise as with the OSS driver. The
strangest thing about this is that with videolan I can get perfect SP/DIF
Output with the OSS kernel SBLive driver! (in contrast to that some said the
dev list that the OSS kernel SBlive driver is buggy).
I´m a real C beginner and don´t know how to patch these things out, maybe
a more experienced person can take a look at the videolan source and see what
they have done to get things work (e.g.
vlc-0.3.0/src/audio_output/aout_spdif.c). I would apreciate OSS driver
support instead of ALSA.
And when that isn´t possible somebody who explains me to get ALSA working!
The ALSA documentation is crap and doesn´t help in any situation.
Do I have to load a DSP emu10k1 patch or something, I don´t know what I
should do more to get things work!