[MPlayer-users] encoding for windows

Certron DiSoni certron_80 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 14 09:46:01 CEST 2002

I have been having great difficulty encoding from a dvd
into a divx avi that is usable in windows. The encodes
produced by mencoder are very clean, very fast, and very
easy to script. however, I can't be able to make one that i
can play in windows. mplayer will play it flawlessly.

can someone please tell me what I need to do? what codec to
use, what fps, what size, bitrate, audio, any other
options.....

i have done w/ cbr mp3, and ofps 24 and they haven't
worked. the main feature of mencoder is speed and dvd - to
- divx direct encoding. but, if I can't play on windows,
then it is less useful. transcode has made good encodes for
me, but it is not as fast.

this is a sample line:

for i in 1 2
do
mencoder -dvd 1 -x 640 -y 272 -ovc divx4 -divx4opts
br=400:q=4:min_quant=0:max_quant=28 -oac mp3lame -lameopts
cbr:br=128:mode=0 -sws 2 -pass $i -o outfile.avi
done

thank you for mplayer / mencoder. before this was no even
thought possible, now it is a reality.

certron