[MPlayer-users] 12 thoughts about MPlayer

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 15 20:22:02 CEST 2002

On Monday 15 April 2002 18:44, Peter Magnusson wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> > > Some PAL SVCD and PAL VCD will get wrong aspect ratio, at least in
> > > 1600x1200. I use vo=xmga. Where can I upload an example so you can
> > > judge for yourself whats wrong?
> >
> > upload to mplayer ftp site, it's in DOCS/bugreports.html, you should
> > chooses
>
> Rollergirl - Geisha Dreams (miapit00-mkv).5MB.of.orginal.m2v
> Rollergirl - Geisha Dreams (miapit00-mkv).5MB.of.orginal.txt
>
> @ ftp://mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming now.
The file is encoded with bad aspect, as the mpeg header says it's 4:3 aspect,
but it really is 16:9 aspect. This is not our fault. You can override the
files encoded aspect buy giving -aspect 16:9 on commandline.

> > scenes where it's visible that aspect is wrong, also there are some
> > videos encoded with bad aspect, but I'll check (I even have anamorphic
> > dvd coded
>
> Yes, i think this is encoded with bad aspect.
Yepp.

> > MPlayer uses aspect info aswell as a default monitor aspect of 4:3 so it
> > _should_ be fine even at non 4:3 resolutions like 1280x1024,k of course
> > video
>
> I use 1600x1200 so its 4:3.
Yea, I just wanted to mention that mplayer has advanced aspect code, to make
sure video is displayed correctly in all circumstances.

> > Windows Media Player has no real aspect code, it eg. displays NTSC SVCD
> > at 480x480 instead of 640x480 in windowed mode.
>
> And in fullscreen?
in fs it streched the svcd I've thrown at it to fullscreen, which was correct
in that case, however wmp has no mpeg2 functionality of itself, so this is
more or less part of the installed mpeg2 filter (that usually comes with a
software dvdplayer soft).

> I was so long time ago that i used windows for playing videos so i cant
> remember exactly, but im quite sure that i never saw a video that had
> wrong aspect in media player.
Probably you never watched svcd with wmp? =)

--
Best Regards,
        Atmos