[MPlayer-users] Quick question: Aspect or Resize?

Troy D. Strum tstrum at salter.com
Mon Apr 15 22:47:01 CEST 2002

Hi folks.

I'm just wondering if other users of mencoder can give me some quick
feedback...

When encoding a NTSC DVD that's 16:9 is it better to...

1) Encode the DVD "as-is" (720x480) without resizing it and just fix it with
something like "-aspect 16:9" in mplayer (or select 16:9 inside of the
windows DivX 5 player) during playback.

2)  Encode the DVD using the appropriate values (like "-vop scale=720:404")
to format it to the correct aspect ratio when encoding.

I've been using the first method with no problems - it works just fine...
I'm just wondering if there's anything to be gained (or lost?) from scaling
it as I'm encoding it.

Thanks in advance.

- Troy