[MPlayer-users] codec status page

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Apr 18 00:26:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> no yuv - This is not really a problem, I guess it does RGB output instead, b
> ut
_now_ it is not problem, as we have automatic colorspace conversion, thanks
to Michael... but few months ago tehse files weren't playable with yuv-only
vo drivers (xv,tdfxfb,mga...), so was no hardware scaling...

> YUV is the standard image format type.
why? there is no standard imgformat...
there is codec imgformat and vo imgformat,a nd if they mismatch, then there
is conversion :)
soem codecs uses yuv as internal format (mostly the DCT-based ones, so m(j)pegs
including divx variants) and some use rgb (mostly simple, RLE ones, like
msrle, raw, zlib etc). huffyuv for example support both rgb and yuv as
_internal_ format.
now, the external format is what the codec can send out as decoded data...
mostly they support their internal format and can convert to a few other
formats.

> filp required - You must mplayer -flip with this driver as it gives the vide
> output flipped.

not really. -flip _forces_ flipping, but it is autodetected.
so, if dec_video sees that codec produces upside down, then it will pass
flip flag to libvo so it can display the image upside down.
if libvo doesn't support -flip, then it will try to insert the flip plugin
(-vop flip).

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team