[MPlayer-users] audio difficulties on old (mono) movies

Kurt Lieber mplayer at kirpatrick.com
Sat Apr 20 02:41:01 CEST 2002

I've got a couple of old movies that have been re-released on DVD.  (the
original Ocean's Eleven and a Clint Eastwood movie)

For some reason, mplayer only finds one audio track on each of the DVDs and
that track happens to be the one with the director's commentary, which
makes watching the movie itself difficult.

mencoder -dvd 1 -v says:

DVD successfully opened!
[open] audio stream: 0 audio format: ac3 language: en aid: 128
[open] audio stream: 1 audio format: ac3 language: fr aid: 129
[open] audio stream: 2 audio format: ac3 language: en aid: 130

OK, great, so I do:

mplayer -dvd 1 -aid 128 -fs -cache 32000

Which plays the video fine, but there's no sound.  The mplayer output shows:

INFO: Video OUT driver init OK!
Audio: no sound!!!
Freeing 0 unused audio chunks
Start playing...

I can play one of the audio tracks (aid 130), but that's the one with the
director's commentary -- not what I want.

The only thing I can figure is that the older movies were recorded with
mono sound, and that's somehow causing a problem for mplayer. (or I'm not
telling mplayer how to play the movie correctly.)

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks.

--kurt