[MPlayer-users] DGA

M. van de Sanden M.vd.Sanden at ai.rug.nl
Sun Apr 21 00:27:01 CEST 2002

Hello,

I've been struggeling to get my laptop to play movies under linux. MPlayer
does a great job on my desktop. But since my laptop has a S3 Savage/MX
graphics card and I am - acording to the author of the driver - the only
one who still gets these kinds of problems getting acceleration working
with the latest driver (I still get scroll-hangs).
I had some problems. I eventualy tried to use the linux framebuffer
device. First direct without X-Window, which kind of worked, but without
the software scaling (-zoom) I couldn't get fullscreen video. So I tried
directfb. That did the trick, but the that made the video quality a bit
grainy. So I tried running X with the fbdev driver. That gave a better
image quality (use -vo x11). But I still had some speed issues. I
played with some -vo setting. Directfb didn't work (that seems logical to me),
fbdev work, but it hasn't got software scaling so that didn;t work for me.
x11 worked ofcourse. SDL kind of worked (but slow), but I figured it used x11,
because xv didn't work. Then I tried dga. DGA sounds very promissing only,
it crashed mplayer. Later I tried X with the vesa driver, which works very
well for me. It doesn;t have xv, but x11 seems to run ok. O yeah, I also
tried gl, which seemed to start of pretty fast but later crashed giving an
x11 BadDrawable error. Gl2 worked but was very very very very slow.

Well, after this whole story. I have two points;
One, since the XFree86 log file states that the dga 2.0 module is beeing
loaded. It sound to me it should be usefull. Now, I don't exactly know
what dga is for (direct graphics access sounds nice).
Second, as I said. It made mplayer crash. Maybe dga is depricated
and it likely to crash. Should I file a bug report? Is it usefull to me if
it works?

Anyway, I like mplayer. It works very well. And it seems to get
better and better. Keep up the good work!

Mart

--
Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.
-- Albert Einstein