[MPlayer-users] Re: Low bitrate using 2-pass with libavcodec

Rémi Guyomarch rguyom at pobox.com
Mon Apr 22 02:36:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 01:30:12AM +0200, marcogi at libero.it wrote:

> > > And where third pass take audio from? I should rencode it again?

>                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Oh Yeah!!! :)
> But...
> Perhaps you mean before _first pass_ not before -pass 1.
> In 3-pass mode "-pass 1" option appears into _second pass_

Exactly :/ It seems I seriously lack coffee ...

> pass2.avi has lower quality than pass1.avi having about the same size.

Well, an alternate 2pass mode has just been committed to mplayer &
libavcodec. Perhaps you can try it ? Be sure to check the latest CVS
version of each. I didn't have time to really test it, but it seems
better than the old (divxnetwork) code. At least it sticks to the
desired bitrate quite well in -pass 2.

--
Rémi