[MPlayer-users] bugs/problems in mplayer-0.90pre1

Taimo Peelo a9tp at htg.tartu.ee
Mon Apr 22 16:54:01 CEST 2002

Hello,

reporting some problems/bugs with mplayer-0.90pre1 on my system ;)

installation description:
had mplayer-0.60 installed from sources - made uninstall to that,
kept fonts and skins in my ~/.mplayer, and all the dlls in /usr/lib/win32
configured with
./configure --with-win32libdir=/usr/lib/win32 --without-vorbis --enable-gui
... make, make install
(gcc 2.95.3, XFree 4.1.0, gtk 1.2.10, ati xpert2000 pro (chip rage 128 pro))

1) when i start up mplayer from KDE console, as i usually do, player goes to
   fullscreen straight away, but the inactive console stays on the
   foreground and i have to do ALT-TAB to get mplayer nicely fullscreen.
   it didn't happen in windowmaker. in ~/.mplayer/config vo=xv & fs=yes.
   also, for some movies borders were mplayer-background color blue. they went
   nicely black when switched from fullscreened mode to windowed mode and
   back to fullscreen

2) if i let mplayer play the video to the end, and then exit with ESC,
   it screws up the console (it starts behaving like with stty -echo).
   under kde console and rxvt i can blindly type "reset" to get things right,
   but xterm becomes unresponsive and has to be killed
   btw, same effect occurs immidiately when i start up mplayer with
   nonexistent filename and exit

3) mplayer -playlist playlist.txt frozes after playing 2 videos. tried with
   three different playlists. videos were short .mpg-s and m2v-s. mplayer had
   to be killed afterwards

4) my biggest complaint was about mplayer not syncing a/v correctly on many
   divx files, but then i re-read the documentation and found out about the -ni
   switch. worked for me... sorry guys, that i doubted you :)

5) when playing .m2v (svcd) movies in a window, aspect ratio isn't applied,
   they are just played by 480x480 pixels. But afaik, aspect ratios are
   defined in svcd files. Am i correct?

6) subtitle placing at borders didn't work for me - at least not with the
   switch -subpos, or using the keys r & t. Any hints?

        Taimo