[MPlayer-users] can -vop scale increase the size?

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Mon Apr 22 23:49:02 CEST 2002

Hi -

	Can the scaling (with "-vop scale=") increase the size?   I have a 16:9
	DVD (NTSC with 720x480 data) that I tried converted to Divx4 using the
	command:

  mencoder -dvd 1 -vop scale=854:480 -sws 2 -ovc lavc \
	-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq -o title1.avi

	the movie playback window is the right size but the movie is corrupted,
	slanted to the right, with diagnonal lines, and so on.    The '854'
	is what MPlayer scales to when playing the DVD

	If I maintain the 16:9 aspect ratio with the command:

	mencoder -dvd 1 -vop scale=720:405 -sws 2 -ovc lavc \
		-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq -o title1.avi

	then the avi file plays back correctly.   The problem would seem to
	be scaling the width to a larger value (from 720 to 854).

	Did I try to encode the widescreen movie incorrectly?   Or is there
	another manual (in addition to encoding.html and mencoder.1) I need
	to read?

	Thanks.

	Steven Schultz
	sms at 2bsd.com