[MPlayer-users] -ac hwac3 with non SB Live/C-Media soundcards?

Andreas Lange andreas.lange at chemie.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Apr 23 13:15:04 CEST 2002

Hi!

> Your decoder selects between analog and digital inputs automatically?

yes

> > so my hardware and driver setup should not be the problem...
>
> Please post your 'modules.conf'. You must use the second device of
> the card to get bit-identical output, otherwise volume/mixer settings
> are applied. You can use the second device either through 'mplayer
> -ao alsa9:hw:0,2' or through OSS emulation directed to '2' (options
> snd-pcm-oss snd_dsp_map=2)
>
> Marcus

thank you very much for your hints. I finally got it working now. With
'mplayer -ao alsa9:hw:0,2' my amplifier decodes ac3 sound, but it
contains little clicks and interruptions. I have mixers set to 100%
and no other programs using the soundcard.

When I 'insmod snd-pcm-oss snd_dsp_map=2'
mplayer -ao oss -ac hwac3 works fine, but other programs like xmms
can't play sound anymore.

Sorry if that question is stupid, but can I use other programs and
mplayer with ac3 without reloading that module?

Below I have inserted the sound-related part of my /etc/modules.conf

Thank you very much for your help!

Andreas Lange

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd