[MPlayer-users] Panscan.

Jukka Tastula jukka.tastula at kotinet.com
Wed Apr 24 12:54:02 CEST 2002

On Wednesday 24 April 2002 00:49, Jakub Turski wrote:

>  The  idea  of panscan is simple: we have a 16:9 movie to watch. When we
> watch it on 4:3 screen, there are black bars - above and below. Not  go­
> od.  We  can  rescale the whole movie, but then it looses aspect. So why
> won't we do it like this: resize vertically, to fill  the  screen,  thus
> deleting the black bars, and then cut a bit from the left and right size
> ­ and center on the full screen. In this way, we get a nice aspected mo­
> vie, a bit crippled though ;)

This kind of on-the-fly cropping can't really be called pan&scan as theres
no panning involved; you just get what happens to be in the center :-)

With a 2.35:1 aspect movie this would probably result in noses talking to
each other alot. Not a good idea really, but whatever you want to torture
yourself with is none of my business. Just imagine how much of the picture
you'll lose this way if the movie was shot on Super-35 and you crop the
widescreen version of it.

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~leopold/Ld/FilmToVideo/#Downconvert
makes my point much better anyway, with pictures! :)