[MPlayer-users] best player ever

SMuelas smuelas at mecanica.upm.es
Thu Apr 25 08:16:01 CEST 2002

On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 11:33, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > neither with windoze nor with xine. Though I think that xine has a
> > better gui - the options are accessible easier than in mplayer(I like
>
> we all agree in this, but keep in mind (not only you) that mplayer
> is a console player, the experimental-and-under-development gui is an
> optional feature and is not yet finished...
> and as mplayer was designed for console from the beginning, it won't
> ever reach that gui features than xine have...

Little bit pesimistic ....xine is nothing "out of this world"  :-)

Sorry if you have explained that before but I don't find it anywhere. I
have an avi file that I have done (just to test it) with Rippackv3Beta
(another windoze variation of Nandub). It is not bad at all. One option
that I found, was to encode with two channel sound. I tried it
immediatly and the result is astonishing. Playing it with mplayer, if I
choose "-aid 1" I have spanish sound and with "-aid 2" english.
Now one obvious question: Can that be done with mencoder?
Another not so obvious: How can I manipulate (cropping, scaling ...and
so on) this avi with mencoder maintaining both channels? I haven't been
able to do so.
It is a VERY nice feature that, perhaps, sometime (if not today) will be
available in mplayer's family.
Regarding the TechSmith codec, I will send to you complete information
as soon as I will find some time to test it in a serious way. They have
a web page and I think it is a free codec??
Best regards.
--
Santiago Muelas (Depto. de Mecánica)
http://w3.mecanica.upm.es/~smuelas
ETSI de Caminos, Canales y Puertos (U.P.M)    smuelas at mecanica.upm.es
Dr.Aranguren s/n - Ciudad Universitaria       Tf. 91 336 6659
MADRID 28040