[MPlayer-users] MPlayer - DivX 4 and 5

Alexey Morozov morozov at novosoft.ru
Thu Apr 25 11:59:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 03:23:52AM +0200, Horv?th Istv?n wrote:
> > Forgive me my ignorance, but tell me: can I compile MPlayer to use DivX4
> > and DivX5, or have to I decide to use it only one of them (and please
> > share your experience about which one is better)?
> as you can see on the list, ffmpeg's libavcodec supports divx4 and 5! (not
> sure to encode both of them, but can decode 4 and 5)
There's a little problem w/ mplayer + (ffmpeg vs. divx any version)
issue. mplayer doesn't support [fully] (post)processing for divx so
badly encoded movies remain looking badly. From another hand it looks
like libavcodec's postprocessing (tried different pp's) not so hmm...
powerful as divx5 one even I have enough CPU time to be eaten by
processing. Yes it fixes the most noisy things like totally squared picture
but I definitely see the difference between the same movies on my
MPlayer/ffmpeg'ed linux and a friend's WMP/divx5'ed computer. And,
unfortunately most of questions regarding divx5 postprocessing
support in MPlayer ended w/ "Why do you need it if there's a wonderful
FFMPEG?!"

Yes, I must admit that mplayer+ffmpeg is the only player/codec pair that
I can use comfortably on my home K6-2/400 for most movies... But
there're much more powerful computers all around the world where
"fastest" is not the very most important criteria for a video player...

Well, probably it's just flame w/o any helpful information...