[MPlayer-users] MPlayer - DivX 4 and 5

Alexey Morozov morozov at novosoft.ru
Thu Apr 25 15:41:01 CEST 2002

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 01:09:34PM +0200, Arpi wrote:

> > Yes, I must admit that mplayer+ffmpeg is the only player/codec pair that
> > I can use comfortably on my home K6-2/400 for most movies... But
> > there're much more powerful computers all around the world where
> > "fastest" is not the very most important criteria for a video player...
> >
> > Well, probably it's just flame w/o any helpful information...
>
> mplayer supports divx5linux library too
Sure it does. I even can say "mplayer -vc divx4 movie.avi" right now.
But w/o postprocessing it's useless thing, really.

> anyway i don't know if that library has postprocessing code...
It does (or at least did). I haven't tried 5.0.1 yet, but previous versions
had at least "quality setting", somewhat similar to mplayer's autoq, and
players (e.g. xine [of some version]) could even make use of that).
And I definitely can say that divx5win has better postprocessing
(on powerful PCs) than ffmpeg has.