[MPlayer-users] mencoder trouble

Ross Lippert ripper at eskimo.com
Sat Apr 27 15:18:02 CEST 2002

I've been using mplayer for a while now, and I think it's great.

At one point, though, I started to dabble  with mencoder because a friend
(here in the US) had some euro-DVDs from when he lived in Europe that he
wanted coverted into a format he could view easily.

mplayer had no trouble playing the dvd's, of course, but mencoder had
trouble producing good encodings in all but the h263p codec (in all
others the audio was there but no video or it refused to work because
it was the wrong framesize or because I did not have divx4 compiled
in).

So find, the h263p encoded videos look fine when I play them back on
mplayer, but cause a variety of unpleasent crashes and whatnot on xine,
apple and MS quicktime, xmovie, and WMP, so I'm not sure if I have really
made these disks more playable or not, since only mplayer can play the
encoded versions.

What gives?

-r