[MPlayer-users] AC3 playback just buzzez

Frederik Klama fklama at f2s.com
Mon Apr 29 19:48:02 CEST 2002

I have a SB Live Platinum (with SP/DIV out) connected to a Cambridge
Soundworks DTT2500 (with builtin Dolby Digital decoder). I am using alsa
0.9.0rc1.

When I run a dvd with "-ac hwac3", all I get is some kind of buzzing or
ticking. When I run with "-ao alsa9" I get no sound at all, but just the
following message:
AO: [alsa9] 48000Hz Stereo Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
alsa-init: this driver is still at alpha-stage. if you want stable sound
support use the OSS emulation instead.
alsa-init: requested format: 48000 Hz, 2 channels, Signed 16-bit
(Little-Endian)
alsa-init: 1 soundcard found, using: hw:0,0
alsa-init: playback open error: Sound protocol is not compatible
couldn't open/init audio device -> NOSOUND
Audio: no sound!!!

I have even tried it with both "-ac hwac3 -ao alsa9", no sound at all again
for this one.
Don't understand me wrong, it DOES work with oss emulation and downmixing, but
I'd like to listen to my DVD's in 5.1 surround. ;-)

Why does direct alsa not work but oss-emulation works fine ?
How could I fix this so that I can get audio over alsa, and more importantly
direct AC3 streaming over the SP/DIV out ?

Thanks for your help,

Frederik Klama