[MPlayer-users] DVD Ripping trick ... & bugreport

Julian J. M. bandit at telecable.es
Tue Apr 30 00:02:39 CEST 2002

El lun, 29-04-2002 a las 23:08, Luke Harrison escribió:
> On 29 Apr 2002 22:46:49 +0200
> "Julian J. M." <bandit at telecable.es> wrote:

> > Hi
> >
> > 	For those of you that don't like doing a 3-pass dvd to divx conversion,
> > you can rip the movie to the HD in several minutes and 'mencode' from
> > there:
> >
> > 	mencoder -dvd 1 -oac copy -ovc copy -o dvdmovie.avi
> >
> > 	Then you can do the 3 pass encoding using dvdmovie.avi as a source.
> >

> Yes, well guy,  not everyone has a spare 6 gigs of HD space for this size of file.
> And of course it would play faster from a hardrive vs. DVD driver..
> But who wants to copy 4-6 gigs of DVD to the harddrive each time to try to watch it?

Please read the message. It starts with... "For those of you that....".
Personally, I have 20Gb free in my system, so I preffer temporaly using
5Gb to do a dvdrip than having my dvd-drive spining for 6 hours. That
mustn't be good for it. But it's up to you :)

Also, i don't get why it's faster reading from a DMA capable DVD-drive
than from HD. If case the DVD was too slow (it isn't), then the CPU
ussage would be less, right?

	Julián.