[MPlayer-users] feature request for subtitles

SoulEdge souledge at brujula.net
Mon Aug 5 02:04:01 CEST 2002

hi..

i was thinking it would be nice to have MPlayer to allow
changes in subtitles timing/framerates?

as my DVD is kinda broken and has very poor performance, i like having my
movies on drive for speed.

but then, if i rip my DVD's in 29.9 FPS and get .sub
files for that movie that are 25 FPS, the subtitles quickly get ahead
of the images and sound..

and if i get .sub/.srt files that do not count the logos/presentations
before the beginning of the movie, then the subtitles will be ahead
of the movie from frame 1...

the common situation is: i get a file which presents both, wrong
framerate and wrong start time...

i guess a couple of "-subs-rate=XX" and "-sub-offset=XXX" switches
( or even auto detection of "subs-rate" for conversion, maybe? ;oP )
would be a matter of 10 minutes to implement? i have made some
crappy tools to make conversions to the subs files, but i only
program a bit of pascal so i cannot submit that into MPlayer...

Damian