[MPlayer-users] Display card recommendations

Hetz Ben Hamo hetz at kde.org
Fri Aug 9 13:03:02 CEST 2002

On Friday 09 August 2002 13:38, Lauri Tischler wrote:
> I'm putting together VDR-box, initially starting with MPlayer.
> I have tryed two display cards, from junkbox, Matrox G100 and
> ATI Rage Pro.
> Neither one is very good, Matrox G100 does not have decode hardware,
> Rage Pro should have, but apparently it is not supported or does not
> work.

For ATI Rage pro you'll need the GATOS drivers to install in order to see some
video with Xv extensions. (gatos.sf.net)

> If I need to buy new card is there any preference as what card
> would be best, I've been thinking of Matrox G450 or ATI Rage 128
> Cheers..

I won't recommend ATI Rage 128. Matrox G450 is nice, but I would go with
NVidia. Although their drivers are closed source - their video performance is
very good, and the drivers supports all the cards features. ATI Radeon is
also a good choice, but I don't know whats the status of their drivers.

Thanks,
Hetz