[MPlayer-users] Display card recommendations

Hetz Ben Hamo hetz at kde.org
Fri Aug 9 17:46:01 CEST 2002

> Why would you want to recommend nVidia for Linux?  For Windows they may be
> the best, but Matrox and Ati have much better driver support under Linux.
> The drivers are open source also.  With MPlayer you will probably get the
> best results with Matrox.  The mga_vid driver is excellent.

I really don't know about others, but when I had a problem with their AGP
driver implementation back then, and I emailed NVidia, I got a reply within
30 minutes with a full explanation whats wrong and how to work around that
problem - so for me it helps.

BTW: the open source "nv" driver also got Xv extension supported - so you can
use this driver as well..

As for Matrox and ATI - those drivers are SEMI open source. Have you tried
dual-head on Matrox? you'll need the closed source driver, and same goes for
ATI radeon driver for openGL (not the DRI stuff)..

I preffer (personally) a solution that works. I really don't care much if it's
open source, under GPL, and if they write "GNU/Linux" instead of "Linux" - I
got 5 machines at home (just installing SuSE 7.3 on an Ultra Sparc 30 clone
which I just received as a gift from a university) and I needed a solution
that works - both 3D and Xv. Nvidia gave me a solution, and I use it.

Thanks,
Hetz