[MPlayer-users] Xvid Problem with Mplayer-0.90pre6

Martin Hoffmann ma.hoff at t-online.de
Sat Aug 10 09:20:02 CEST 2002

> Hello, I'm having a problem with mplayer-0.90pre6 detecting the xvid
> codec... Here's what I did; following the directions in the docs. I
> first downloaded the latest Xvid snapshot form xvid.org then I compiled
> the source, next I downloaded and installed the divx4linux package form
> divx.com, I made sure that encore2.h and decore.h where copied to
> /usr/local/include.
Try the following (works for me, at least with mplayer prior pre6!):
- Install xvid (will create libxvidcore.so in /usr/local/lib)
- Create symlinks in /usr/local/lib named libdivxdecore.so and
libdivxencore.so both pointing to /usr/local/lib/libxvidcore.so
- Copy divx4.h from the xvid package to /usr/local/include and create symlinks
as encore2.h and (yes both) decore.h
- Now run configure without --with... - For me it detects it automatically now
!

This maybe some "hack" because we fool the configure script that we use divx -
but for me it alway did the job!

> I then ran the configure script with the
> --with-xvidcore=/source/xvid_20020412/xvidcore/build/generic/libcore.a .
> The configure script says It doesn't find XVID (print info from
> configure script: "Checking for XviD ... no")
For me this wasn't needed ! Just ./configure did fine (maybe, see above)

> when I play a movie
> encoded with xvid it uses the ffmpeg libavcodec. Any help will be great
> appreciated.
AFAIK ffmpeg is alway preferred for xvid/divx content - so either edit the
codecs.conf file to disable ffmpeg for certain FOURCC or start mplayer with
-vc odivx forcing it to use odivx codec - which is in this case the xvid one
!

Hope this helps !

Martin