[MPlayer-users] Handling "bursty" data sources

Glyn glyn.kennington at hertford.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Aug 10 10:04:02 CEST 2002

Haas Wernfried wrote:
> > I'm trying to play a video (XviD-encoded AVI) off of a CDROM on a laptop
> other idea: play around with hdparm -E <value>, which sets the cdrom
> speed to <value>.

For me, this only fixed the problems I had on CDROMs I'd burned myself,
which refused to play at >1x speed.

Try hdparm -S <time> to set the spindown time.  man hdparm to find the
format for <time> (it's not linear).  If you increase the spindown time
and decrease the -cache size so that disc accesses always happen before
the spindown time has elapsed, everything should work again.

--
-Glyn, do you do pills?
-No, I hate lager.