[MPlayer-users] mencoder with lavc, mpeg4, vbitrate=1250 producing 3GB/h files

Brian J. Murrell 98325c28686c4d71e2cb9c202d98adde at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Aug 11 00:47:01 CEST 2002

I was in the past using mecoder to transcode 5Mb/s mpeg1 files to
1.250Mb/s mpeg4 files, with success.  I had a script to do it and it
worked every time.  The same script is now producing 3GB/h files on a
particular source mpeg1 file, even with the vbitrate set to 1250.
Here is the complete command line I have been using:

$ mencoder -pass 1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcoded=mpeg4:vbitrate=1250:vme=5:vqmin=2:vratetol=40000 -o file.avi file.mpeg

I had to add a -oac mp3lame after doing a cvs update just minutes ago.
But mencoder was producing the 3GB/h files even prior to the cvs update.

The source is quite noisy (recorded from a bad channel on analog
cable) but should mencoder still not restrict the destination file to
approximately the vbitrate in any case?  I.e. the resulting mpeg4 will
be of low quality due to the noise.

I have another file I just tried that probably has much less noise and
it was transcoding at 830MB/h or so.

Thanx,
b.

--