[MPlayer-users] -fps and -ss and AVI files

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon Aug 12 09:15:02 CEST 2002

I noticed that -ss seems to be bound to the playback framerate. For
instance, 'mplayer -fps 24 -ss 100' would seek to the same place as
'mplayer -fps 12 -ss 200'. 'mplayer -fps 12 -ss 100' seeks half as far.

I've tested AVI files encoded with DIVX3, libavcodec MPEG4, and "MPG4"
(I'm not sure what exactly that is), and they all behaved this way.

The Sorenson v1 Quicktime file and the mpeg-1 files I tested didn't do
this - they seemed to seek to the same time position regardless of
framerate.

Is this a bug, or just a side-effect of AVI demuxing?

(MPlayer CVS from 2002-08-03)