[MPlayer-users] Re: Matrox boards

Rene Bartsch mplayer-users at bartschnet.de
Mon Aug 12 09:23:02 CEST 2002

Am Mon, 2002-08-12 um 06.42 schrieb Cameron Hutchison:
> Once upon a time Vakvarju said...
> > Regarding to the freevo's hardware from freevo.sourceforge.net (400MHz
> > CPU ?) I recommend a G400 or a G450. A friend of mine use a PII 266 with
> > a G450 and mplayer works well.
>
> I'd like to use my G400 in this way too, but I want to be able to have
> the video sent to the TV on head #2 while using the computer with X on
> head #1. I want the video on the TV to be hardware scaled (BES/mga_vid/
> vidix). The matrox white papers[1] say the board does this, but I can't
> get mplayer to do it. It needs to have the same image on both heads to
> so it does the hardware scaling via head#1 while sending the TVout to
> head #2. Windows apparently does some 3D zooming to replace the
> functions of the BES on head #2 which hasn't been done yet for linux.
>
> Does the G450 work the same way? Or is there a BES on head #2 with that.
>
> What (PCI) video card should I get that can do hardware scaling, TV out

You could also connect your VGA-out with your TV-set. No black borders,
better picture. But but be carefull. Frequencies above 16 khz on
RGB-input can burn your TV as cheap TVs create their high-voltage with
help of video-in signals.

See http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/vga2tv/linux_tv.html
    http://www.sput.nl/hardware/tv-x.html
or  http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~pfeffer/tvout/  (german)