[MPlayer-users] Can't get crop to work

Steffen Barszus st_barszus at gmx.de
Mon Aug 12 23:09:02 CEST 2002

Am Montag, 12. August 2002 01:26 schrieb alex at foogod.com:

> > > Well, how was I supposed to know that?  You sure didn't SAY it
> > > anywhere..
> >
> > the user didn't asked it... he asked why doesn't crop work... and the
> > answer was ok, because of -vop crop
>
> Actually, no, he asked why he was getting a segv (well, technically he
> showed the segv and asked what he did wrong, which amounts to the same
> question). Perhaps you should read the messages you respond to..
Cant reading the topic alex ? will copy'n'paste just for you:
"Can't get crop to work"

> > he was so dumb that copypasted teh whole message mplayer prints but
> > didn't even read it...
> Ok, now it's pretty clear you're just living in some sort of different
> universe..  This bears no relationship to the reality of the email you
> were responding to on the list.  I give up.
it's better, since its videobasics, you can't copy videostreams and
crop/resize/whatever do with it.

> Funny, you sure act enough like them when it comes to user support..

Hugh?! MS never react on user support ... arpi does and give a small but
helpful advice to his fault ...
> > > Considering that the instructions for submitting a "proper bugreport"
> > > for many people involve recompiling the whole package, and using gdb
> > > (which lots of folks don't even have installed), expecting joe-user to
> > > go through all that trouble, when you may not even end up needing the
> > > gdb output anyway, is a little unrealistic in many cases, and just a
> > > tad arrogant.

Thats why I answer to it. Who said that Mplayer is a player for everyone? I
think the UI suggest it should be used by people they know what they do, so
if it can help mplayer, why not to put all these things to the list, to get a
bug fixed ? you don't need to do so, you can wait , till it is done by over,
but this isn't helpful ...

> > sorry, if you don't like our rules, it's your problem.
>
> Sorry, if you're an arrogant asshole, it's your problem.

you use a free OS, so you are free NOT to use mplayer ...

> > as sig11 shouldn't happen, and the only fast and clean way to trace it
> > down is using gdb. maybe we should include stripped-down gdb in mplayer
> > just like wine does? no.
>
> Really all I was suggesting was that you be a little less condescending and
> perhaps a little more informative so people might actually be inclined to
> help you, but it's becoming fairly apparent you don't know how to do
> either, so nevermind..
>
> Anyway, this discussion is degenerating rapidly, so I'm gonna stop now.
>
> Here's a summary of what I've determined from all of this, however:
>
> TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:  Arpi gave the wrong answer, because the signal 11
> was not caused by the choice of command args.  As for the "what did I do
> wrong?" regarding the signal 11, the only thing y..........

bla bla

> -alex
read the facts, but is OT here anyway, so answers should be PM

Steffen

Computer are like air conditioners: They stop working properly if you open
windows!