[MPlayer-users] mencoder neglects -nosound when noframe.avi is present

Frank Boehme f.boehme at cs.ucc.ie
Tue Aug 13 22:08:01 CEST 2002

Hi gang,

I am not sure if I am allowed to post w/o subscribing first...

Anyways, this is about the latest pre-release, i.e. v0.90pre6. It's
excellent work, btw. For example, the new realcodecs support make real
movies look even better than with realplayer, because of hw scaling and
postprocessing (at least under xv output).

I encountered the following problem with mencoder. Apologies if it is
already known but I didn't find it mentioned in the mailing list
archives: Suppose I am encoding in 3 pass mode. So after the first pass
I have the sound as frameno.avi in the CWD. The dox suggest to copy this
sound into the output of the next as well as the final pass. No problem,
this works.

But when I try to encode the second pass (before the final) with
-nosound, then mencoder still insists on specifying an audio codec
because it sees noframe.avi and wants to copy it in the output file
(which is anyway /dev/null in my case). So I have to temporarily move or
rename this file before starting the 2nd pass, otherwise I keep getting
an error msg saying that I should specify an audio codec or -nosound (I
did the latter!). Is this a feature or a bug?

Also, I would like to know if there are any drawbacks with -nosound in
the second pass. I just do that because I believe it saves some time.
Does this affect the information stored in the logfile for use in pass
3?

All thoughts are welcome. Please cc to my email address as i am
currently not subscribed.

Thanks a lot,

Frank

Dr Frank Boehme                      | Email: f.boehme at cs.ucc.ie
National University of Ireland, Cork | phone: +353-21-4903163
Dept of Computer Science             |   fax: +353-21-4903113
Cork, Ireland                        |