[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer WMV8 and gcc3.2 problem - solved

Goetz Waschk waschk at informatik.uni-rostock.de
Wed Aug 14 12:03:02 CEST 2002

Am Mittwoch, 14. August 2002, 11:44:39 Uhr MET, schrieb Arpi:

> > with the help of the Mandrake compiler maintainer this problem has
> > been solved. With gcc 3.2 or 3.1.1 you need to add the compiler
> > option -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer to make the win32 dll loader
> > work again. I don't know if this is a gcc bug, maybe it's just
> > different default optimizations in the newer compilers.
> Is it enough to add to loader's Makefile, or have to compile every >
> file with this option?

Hi,

I think it's OK just to compile the win32 dll loader with this option,
but I'll have to try it to make it sure. I'll give you the definitive
answer tomorrow.

> anyway gcc 2.95.x seems to have this option too, so it wouldn't hurt
> adding without version check - maybe it fixes 2.9[VI] too :)

This is not a good idea. I had complains from a user as an answer to
my post on the xine-users list. He had compiled xine with this option
and Red Hat's gcc-2.9[VI]-112 compiler and it crashed while it was
working fine without the extra option. OK, it's a different program,
but the dll loader is shared with xine isn't it?

In my experience the crash did't apprear with Mandrake's gcc 2.9[VI],
only with gcc 3.1.1 or 3.2. So it would be better to check the
compiler version.

PS I think it unfair that Arpi is allowed to post a 2 followed by a
dot and a 9 and a 6.

--
   Götz Waschk <> master of computer science  <> University of Rostock
 http://wwwtec.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~waschk/waschk.asc for PGP key