[MPlayer-users] mencoder neglects -nosound when noframe.avi is present

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Aug 14 12:21:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> I am not sure if I am allowed to post w/o subscribing first...
yes but we won't cc:, read archives...

> Anyways, this is about the latest pre-release, i.e. v0.90pre6. It's
> excellent work, btw. For example, the new realcodecs support make real
> movies look even better than with realplayer, because of hw scaling and
> postprocessing (at least under xv output).
:)

> I encountered the following problem with mencoder. Apologies if it is
> already known but I didn't find it mentioned in the mailing list
> archives: Suppose I am encoding in 3 pass mode. So after the first pass
> I have the sound as frameno.avi in the CWD. The dox suggest to copy this
> sound into the output of the next as well as the final pass. No problem,
> this works.
>
> But when I try to encode the second pass (before the final) with
> -nosound, then mencoder still insists on specifying an audio codec
> because it sees noframe.avi and wants to copy it in the output file
> (which is anyway /dev/null in my case). So I have to temporarily move or
> rename this file before starting the 2nd pass, otherwise I keep getting
> an error msg saying that I should specify an audio codec or -nosound (I
> did the latter!). Is this a feature or a bug?
dunno. probably a bug (the -oac warning checks for -nosoudn so it shouldn't
happen), but not really a bug, as with -nosound it (3-pass encoding)
won't work as expected. so, you HAVE TO -oac copy.

the file is frameno.avi not noframe.avi, big difference, frameno is
shortened form of 'frame numbers' while noframe suggests 'dummy file, no
frames in it'

actually the whole a-v syncing process is done at teh first pass and the
frame numbers _after_ skipping/duplicating are stored in frameno.avi along
with the audio. you have to use this file in next passes otherwise you may
get a-v desync.

> Also, I would like to know if there are any drawbacks with -nosound in
> the second pass. I just do that because I believe it saves some time.
-oac copy won't do much just copy few MBs, so it won't save time leaving it

> Does this affect the information stored in the logfile for use in pass
> 3?
yes, badly.
if there were skipped/duplicated farmes at 1st pass, they won't be skip/dup
in second but will in 3rd, so 2nd and 3rd logfile will not match -> bad
parameters.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team