[MPlayer-users] dvd and -fs

en ne lttlstrwbrr at yahoo.de
Thu Aug 15 14:30:02 CEST 2002

Dear Haas,

I don t want to sound polemic, but I have the feeling
that YOU are the one who doesn't read or understands
emails... I said:

I tried all the options of hdparm, IT WORKED with a
previous DISTRO, the best performance of my drive was
reached with hdparm -d1 -u1 -X34 -a8. THEN I installed
the NEW RH and the NEW Mplayer. THEN I tuned with
hdparm AGAIN (trying out all possible options).

DVDs skip.

I asked (I think kindly) for some help.
Glad if someone can help me, otherwise.. no problem.
No need of someone who thinks everybody is an idiot...

Cheers

--- Haas Wernfried <w.haas at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at>
schrieb: > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ),
also read
> [...]
> > flags doesn t change the output of hdparm -tT.
> > With the RH7.1 and RH7.2, I had to set
> > hdparm -d1 -X34 -a8 -u1 /dev/hdc and dvd playd
> > perfectly
>
> damn... from my reply of one of your previous mails:
> -- snip --
> > 4) With previous versions of MPlayer there where
> some
> > DVD which played ok, other kept on "jumping" or
> > "skipping", I mean the image was not smooth at
> all.
> > Were these disc broken or damaged, or was it a
> problem
> > with the program?
> some random hints:
> is dma mode enabled for your dvd drive? did you use
> the framedrop option? did you enable the cache?
> -- snip --
>
> how can one expect people to rtfm even if they don't
> read the answers
> to their questions?
> giving up,
>        wernfried
>

> > --- Pierre Naude <pnn at jhb.ucs.co.za> schrieb: >
> > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also
> read
> > > DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > Your speed problem may be related to dma - have
> you
> > > switched on the dma
> > > on your dvd drive?
> > >
> > > e.g.
> > >
> > > On a test machine I have here when I do
> > >
> > > hdparm /dev/hdc
> > >
> > > I get
> > >
> > > /dev/hdc:
> > >  HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
> > >  I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)
> > >  unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
> > > ---> using_dma    =  0 (off) <---
> > >  keepsettings =  0 (off)
> > >  HDIO_GET_NOWERR failed: Invalid argument
> > >  readonly     =  1 (on)
> > >  readahead    =  8 (on)
> > >  HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument
> > >  busstate     =  1 (on)
> > >
> > > As you can see from the highlighted line dma is
> off,
> > > ie transfer speeds
> > > are not optimal.
> > >
> > > You should be able to switch it on using
> > >
> > >  hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc
> > >
> > > Which will give you
> > >
> > > /dev/hdc:
> > >  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> > >  using_dma    =  1 (on)
> > >

> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Pierre

> > > read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> Is
> > > the
> knows, is
> > > the

> <anv at xnetcuyo.com.ar>
> > > FAQ),
> also

> http://mail.yahoo.de
> > > http://grusskarten.yahoo.de

> > Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - http://mail.yahoo.de
> > Möchten Sie mit einem Gruß antworten?
> http://grusskarten.yahoo.de

> --
> -> Fppmpppffpppmpfpffmffmppmpm Mfpmmmmmmfmm

mfpfmpfmppfm://fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp/~mmmppmpppmpppppmffppfppp