[MPlayer-users] ffmpeg -vcodec mpeg4 pipe: | mplayer -

Michal Lesiak bler at terror.org.pl
Fri Aug 16 01:22:01 CEST 2002

hello,

I have a strange problem with getting this function of mplayer to work.
Generally, it looks like mplayer is waiting for the whole file to be
written, so that it could estimate video lenght by file size :/

I've tried this:

ffmpeg pipe://1.avi > 1
cat 1 | mplayer -

everything is fine.

Starting ffmpeg -vcodec mpeg4 1.avi and then simultaneously mplayer 1.avi
doesn't do any good, cause mplayer plays to position it guessed as an EOF
and quits.

Running found in mplayer's docs example `wget http://sth.com/file.avi -O -
| mplayer -` causes mplayer to stop in the same point as it does with the
command from subject:

Found movie at 0x146 - 0x146

I've also tried manipulating on this value in saved files' headers, and in
either case (i.e. 0x000000 or 0xwhatever) mplayer handles playing
properly.
ffserver also doesn't work with mp.
Funny thing is that ffserver had worked, with 0.90pre4. Then I'd
downloaded pre6 and the problems started. making install pre4 hadn't
helped, as well as reinstalling the whole system (debian woody). now i
have old debian 2.2r6 with pre4 and it still doesn't work... am i missing
something?

thanks forr all help
--
Michal Lesiak