[MPlayer-users] Plugin in music playing mode?

Krister Lagerstrom krister at kmlager.com
Sat Aug 17 16:44:01 CEST 2002

Gábor Lénárt wrote:
 > DOCS/bugreports.html] On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 09:17:25PM -0300,
 > Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
 >
 >> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
 >> DOCS/bugreports.html] Hello,
 >>
 >> It's possible to create a plugin for MPlayer like those for XMMS?
 >> If yes, there are anyone doing this? What docs I should read to be
 >>  able to create one, I mean, where (in MPlayer internal structure)
 >>  I get the music info (album, artist, etc) and the sound waves (to
 >>  create some effects based on it)?  -- I know SDL, C.
 >>
 >> MPlayer is the best Media Player I know, I think the only missing
 >> part is the option to see something in the screen.
 >

 > Hmmm. MPlayer is _NOT_ Media Player. MPlayer is Movie Player. It was
 >  not designed to 'play anything that moves', it's also an ugly hack
 > to play audio-only mp3 files ... I think it's a very bad behaviour
 > to try to make a software to play anything. Thhis is not spritit of
 > UNIX neither of GNU. For this purpose XMMS is much better, use that
 > for that purpose.

I agree with the general idea that mplayer should not be bloated with
stuff that does not belong in it.

But there is good justification for using it for mp3 playing with
visualization. MPlayer has very good support for fast MP3
decompression, it has very good support for audio output devices, and
for graphic visualization it has the best video output device support.

 From the XMMS website it seems it only supports X11, and GTK/Glib is
required. Having MP3 playing with graphics on a commandline player
would make sense for using it on a media box connected to a TV (e.g.
using a G400 in fb mode).

I don't know much about the MPlayer internals, but maybe it is possible
to implement this as generic audio+video MPlayer plugins and/or a new
demuxer type that fit well into the existing structure?

		/ Krister