[MPlayer-users] dts/dobly digital

joy ping joy at pingfm.org
Mon Aug 19 19:34:01 CEST 2002

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 12:11:41PM -0400, Zach Shay wrote:
> alsa-init: soundcard set to hw:0,3
> device: 3, subdevice: 0
> hw:0
> alsa-spdif-init: cant set spdif-trough automatically

this message simply says that you have to turn on your spdif-playback
*manually*, means: open your favorite mixer and set the
spdif-playbackswitch. i thought this message is clear enough and it's really
not that much work to do it.
it will show up on most devices and most configurations cause the
current routine seems to catch only some special configurations. i
started to write a more general routine but cause a complete rewrite
is needed for the spdif-initialization and i don't have an external
iec958 capable device, so i can't test (hear) what i do, i decided to
don't do it. i currently hacked in the manual configuration completly
blind, only tested by some users at the other end of the world. it was
funny but you could imagine that this would be a bit annoying for a
complete rewrite (waiting days for some simple tests).
but if someone is able and willing to do it i can provide him/her
information how it probably could be done.

> I got this when using th command line:
>   mplayer -vo xv -ao alsa9:hw:0,3 -ac hwac3 -dvd 1
>
> The dvd is Gladiator, it has a DTS and Dobly Digital 5.1 stream on it.
> Does anyone know what how I can set the spdif trough.  I checked my
> digital out and the iec958 for the coax and made sure it was on.

i guess you have to select the right stream id on your dvd with -aid ?
look at the output of mplayer. the stream-ids are listed at the beginning.

--
regards

____-
joy