[MPlayer-users] Building .avi file (divx) containing 2 soundtracks - using frameno.avi

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Mon Aug 19 21:26:02 CEST 2002

On 19 Aug 2002 08:44:14 +0200
Al <alp00 at udcast.com> wrote:
> Hello

Hi,

> I'm trying to build some divx files from dvds. I'd like them to contain
> 2 soundtrack (original version + one translation).
>
> - Does somebody know how to do this with mencoder ? Does the .avi file
> format enable this fonctionnality ?

Yes, this definitely works. I already had one multilanguage .avi, but it
was a demo file, I don't know which program is able to produce them. But
the format is capable of it

> - If the .avi file format is not able to do this, a workaround could be
> to use one more frameno.avi file. I tryed this but didn't succeed as I'd
> like.
> [...]
> Now I'd like to use something like :
>  mplayer movie.avi -audiofile frameno.avi
> but got no sound. For sure the manual says that the -audiofile is for
> .mp3, wav or ogg), but is there a trick to play another soundtrack ?

Yes, because frameno.avi is really a .avi, with frame numbers instead of
a real video codec.

> I thought of using -dumpaudio, then reencoding the lame, but this seems
> not a really smart solution (I fear some A/V drift). As frameno.avi
> seems to contain all the A/V information, it seems the best candidate·

Well... why do you want to reencode the audio dump? The audio dump is the
dump of the encoded audio, its even smaller than the frameno.
You can use this result with -audiofile

Before -audiofile existed I managed the audiostream problem like this:
a) I encoded the video only (using -nosound)
b) Then I created the fameno.avi s but named them framenoeng, framenoger etc
c) ln -s framenoeng.avi frameno.avi
d) menoder -ovc copy -oac copy -pass 2 videoonly.avi outfile.avi

Especially when I intended to take that file with me to play it at a
friends Windows-only box.

> Any idea ?

Well I'd like to have multi-audiostream support in .avis, too. But I don't
know how to implement it.

Clemens