[MPlayer-users] 2 pass divx encoding from .VOB/dvd - Targeted filesize (bitrate) ends up way way wrong

Øyvind Stegard oyvind.stegard at bluezone.no
Mon Aug 19 22:58:01 CEST 2002

Hey

I'm trying to encode a ~2 hour DVD, targeting two 80 min CDRs (about
1400MB). My problem is essentially that the bitrate I specify to
libavcodec is not respected at all and the movie ended up at half of the
filesize I had targeted(resulting in rather poor quality). (It turned
out to be ~700MB when I specified an average bitrate that should result
in a file close to 1400MB (audio stream taken into consideration)). To
clear things up, here are the two command lines I used:

1. pass:
mencoder dogma.vob -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1400:vhq:vpass=1 -vop scale=672:288,crop=701:429
-sws 2 -o /dev/null

This resulted, as expected, in a lavc_stats.txt file. (I threw away the
video to /dev/null in this pass, wrong??)

2. pass
mencoder dogma.vob -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128:aq=0:mode=1:vol=3
-aid 128 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1400:vhq:vpass=2
-vobsubout dogmasub -ifo vts_01_0.ifo -sid 5 -vop
scale=672:288,crop=701:429 -sws 2 -o dogma.avi

This time I included the audio, naturally, as this was to be the final
avi before splitting. (and I extracted some subtitles in vobsub format).
The resulting average bitrate was NOT 1400, but rather around
600-700kbit. Why does it end up so wrong ? I know mencoder/libavcodec
loaded the statsfile, because of the startup time of mencoder and the
size of the mencoder process (the stats file was about 15MB large).

Finally, some more details:
The movie is 720x576 PAL 25fps, about two hours long. I also got
indications (from a reply to a previous post I sent), that the movie
probably was a field based interlaced stream. It was ripped using Smart
Ripper on a windows box, and the .vob file (concatenated all vobs to
one) is about 6GIGs, and contains video, two ac3 streams (one 2.0 and
one 5.1), and some subtitle stuff.

Also, when I try to use the external -pass 1/2 parameter (instead of
libavcodec internal vpass), the bitrate goes much much higher than it
should, so that's a no-no. (Does the external -pass 1/2 really work well
with libavcodec ?? It looks very DivX5 oriented)

mplayer 0.90pre6-gcc3.1

Thanks in advance for all help/tips, it's all appreciated.

--
Øyvind S.