[MPlayer-users] 2 pass divx encoding from .VOB/dvd - Targeted filesize (bitrate) ends up way way wrong

Øyvind Stegard oyvind.stegard at bluezone.no
Mon Aug 19 23:49:02 CEST 2002

D Richard Felker III wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 10:34:46PM +0200, Øyvind Stegard wrote:
>

>>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>>Hey
>>
>>I'm trying to encode a ~2 hour DVD, targeting two 80 min CDRs (about
>>1400MB). My problem is essentially that the bitrate I specify to
>>libavcodec is not respected at all and the movie ended up at half of the
>>filesize I had targeted(resulting in rather poor quality). (It turned
>>out to be ~700MB when I specified an average bitrate that should result
>>in a file close to 1400MB (audio stream taken into consideration)). To
>>clear things up, here are the two command lines I used:
>>
>>1. pass:
>>mencoder dogma.vob -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts
>>vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1400:vhq:vpass=1 -vop scale=672:288,crop=701:429
>>-sws 2 -o /dev/null
>>

>-lavcopts vqmin=2, or even 1 perhaps with bitrates this high.
>Actually, I believe there *is* a bug in libavcodec where it won't
>properly distribute bits on the second pass when the minimum qscale
>(vqmin) is already reached on lots of frames, so quality still won't
>be ideal, but it should be a lot better.
>
>Also don't use -nosound, that will cause mencoder not to mess with a/v
>sync, which could cause the frame numbers in lavc_stats.txt to be
>totally wrong for the second pass!! Instead use -oac copy or -oac pcm
>(doesn't matter since the output is going to the bitbucket anyway).
>

>>Finally, some more details:
>>The movie is 720x576 PAL 25fps, about two hours long. I also got
>>indications (from a reply to a previous post I sent), that the movie
>>probably was a field based interlaced stream. It was ripped using Smart
>>Ripper on a windows box, and the .vob file (concatenated all vobs to
>>one) is about 6GIGs, and contains video, two ac3 streams (one 2.0 and
>>one 5.1), and some subtitle stuff.
>>

>You might need -ofps 50 or something. Read the archives. Broken
>interlacing will definitely have a huge negative impact on
>quality/bitrate.
>

>>Also, when I try to use the external -pass 1/2 parameter (instead of
>>libavcodec internal vpass), the bitrate goes much much higher than it
>>should, so that's a no-no. (Does the external -pass 1/2 really work well
>>with libavcodec ?? It looks very DivX5 oriented)
>>

>No, it's broken with libavcodec and should not be used. It might
>partially work if you have b frames turned off, but it's still a bad
>idea.
>
>Rich

Thanks for the information, I actually saw a note on the man-page that
said to avoid the external bitrate control combined with libavcodec,
right after I posted. (RTFMP, I guess:).

I'll try with vqmin=2, and if this doesn't work out either, I'll go with
DivX5 and external bitrate control.

DivX5(libdivxencore.so) + external bitrate control works fine, right ??
I don't need to set any special divx4opts then ? This I ask, because
I've noticed that all the numbers in the the divx_log file are "0"
except for the "total" number and frame number, and I find this a bit
peculiar.

--
Øyvind S.