[MPlayer-users] Re: memleak in cvs

Rémi Guyomarch rguyom at pobox.com
Tue Aug 20 04:14:01 CEST 2002

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 09:22:26PM -0400, Ed Sweetman wrote:
> I'm not sure how many hours it would take for the machine to run out of
> memory due to mplayer,  but i know it will consume hundreds of MB of
> memory on dvd rips during the course of the movie.  Perhaps it's not the
> file loading part but freeing the decoded video data, since the larger
> resolution of dvd would consume much more memory than tv
> resolution...assuming you're not talking about such clips....god that
> would be a huge waste of space :)
>
> I'm just saying,  I see the memory consumption much more quickly than
> mulitple hours of playing but more testing needs to be done and by more
> people.
>
> I've attached my configure output   ./configure --enable-gui

This is very weird. I didn't notice such thing, and as my machine is
quite underpowered, I would have noticed such memory leak. I mean
since I'm constantly at ~90 MB of swap used (X11, icewm, mozilla,
XEmacs, a few Eterms, a few daemons and things left and right) with a
maximum at 256 and 256 MB of ram, I shouldn't be able to watch
anything :) and I can watch 1400 MB mpeg-4 files without any problem.

Anyway, here's the result of ./configure there :
(everything CVS from a day or two)

Detected operating system: FreeBSD
Detected host architecture: i386
Checking for gcc version ... 2.95.3, ok
Checking for CPU vendor ... AuthenticAMD (5:8:12)
Checking for CPU type ...  AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
Checking for GCC & CPU optimization abilities ... k6
Checking for kernel support of mmx ... yes
Checking for kernel support of 3dnow ... yes
Checking for mtrr support ... no
Checking for assembler (/usr/libexec/elf/as 2.11.2) ... ok
Checking for awk ... awk
Checking for extra headers ... -I/usr/local/include -I/home/rguyom/src/xvid/xvidcore/src/ -I/usr/local/include
Checking for extra libs ... -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib
Checking for i18n ... no
Checking for setlocale() ... yes
Checking for language ... using en
Checking for enable sighandler ... yes
Checking for runtime cpudetection ... no
Checking for restrict keyword ... __restrict
Checking for kstat ... no
Checking for posix4 ... no
Checking for nanosleep ... yes
Checking for socklib ... no
Checking for inet_pton() ... yes (using )
Checking for inttypes.h (required) ... yes
Checking for stddef.h ... yes
Checking for malloc.h ... yes
Checking for memalign() ... no
Checking for alloca.h ... no
Checking for mman.h ... yes
Checking for dynamic loader ... yes
Checking for pthread ... yes (using -lc_r)
Checking for sys/soundcard.h ... yes
Checking for sys/dvdio.h ... yes
Checking for sys/cdio.h ... yes
Checking for linux/cdrom.h ... no
Checking for dvd.h ... no
Checking for BSDI dvd.h ... no
Checking for userspace SCSI headers (Solaris) ... no
Checking for termcap ... yes
Checking for termios ... yes (using sys/termios.h)
Checking for shm ... yes
Checking for linux devfs ... no
Checking for strsep() ... yes
Checking for vsscanf() ... yes
Checking for 3dfx ... no
Checking for tdfxfb ... no
Checking for DirectFB headers presence ... not found
Checking for DirectFB ... no
Checking for X11 headers presence ... yes (using /usr/X11R6/include)
Checking for X11 libs presence ... yes (using /usr/X11R6/lib)
Checking for X11 ... yes
Checking for DPMS ... yes (using Xdpms 4)
Checking for Xv ... yes
Checking for Xinerama ... yes
Checking for Xxf86vm ... yes
Checking for DGA ... yes (using DGA 2.0)
Checking for OpenGL ... yes
Checking for /dev/mga_vid ... no
Checking for xmga ... no
Checking for GGI ... no
Checking for AA ... yes
Checking for SVGAlib ... no
Checking for FBDev ... no
Checking for DVB ... no (specify path to DVB/ost/include with --with-extraincdir=DIR)
Checking for PNG support ... yes
Checking for JPEG support ... yes
Checking for GIF89a support ... yes
Checking for VESA support ... no (not supported on this OS/architecture)
Checking for SDL ... yes (using sdl11-config)
Checking for NAS ... no
Checking for DXR2 ... no
Checking for DXR3/H+ ... no
Checking for libmp1e ... no
Checking for libfame ... no
Checking for OSS Audio ... yes
Checking for aRts ... no
Checking for ALSA audio ... no
Checking for Sun audio ... no
Checking for Sun mediaLib ... no
Checking for SGI audio ... no
Checking for VCD support ... ok
Checking for DVD support (libmpdvdkit) ... yes
Checking for DVD support (libcss - old style) ... no
Checking for DVD support (libdvdread - new style) ... disabled by libmpdvdkit2
Checking for DVD support (libdvdnav) ... no
Checking for cdparanoia ... no
Checking for zlib ... yes
Checking for RTC ... no (Linux specific feature)
Checking for mad support ... yes
Checking for OggVorbis support ... yes
Checking for FAAD (AAC) support ... no
Checking for Win32 DLL support ... yes (using /usr/local/lib/win32)
Checking for DirectShow ... yes
Checking for XAnim DLL ... no (no suitable directory found - see DOCS/codecs.html)
Checking for RealPlayer DLL ... no (no suitable directory found - see DOCS/codecs.html)
Checking for LIVE.COM Streaming Media libraries ... no
Checking for iconv ... no
Checking for FFmpeg libavcodec (static) ... yes
Checking for libdv-0.9.5 (for mencoder) ... no
Checking for zr ... no
Checking for XviD ... yes
Checking for DivX4 compatibility in XviD ... yes
Checking for libmp3lame (for mencoder) ... yes
Checking for XviD/DivX4linux encore (for mencoder) ... no
Checking for mencoder ... yes
Checking for fastmemcpy ... yes
Checking for TV interface ... yes
Checking for *BSD BrookTree 848 TV interface ... yes
Checking for Video 4 Linux TV interface ... no
Checking for audio select() ... yes
Checking for streaming ... yes
Checking for byte order ... Little Endian
Checking for GUI ... no
Checking for ftello() ... yes
Checking for vidix ... yes
Checking for new input ... yes
Checking for joystick ... no
Checking for lirc ... no
Creating config.mak
Creating config.h
Creating libvo/config.mak
Creating libao2/config.mak
Creating help_mp.h

Config files successfully generated by ./configure !

  Install prefix: /usr/local
  Data directory: /usr/local/share/mplayer
  Config direct.: /usr/local/share/mplayer

  Byte order: Little Endian
  Optimizing for: k6 mmx 3dnow

  Enabled optional drivers:
    Input: network tv-bsdbt848 tv mpdvdkit2 vcd
    Codecs: xvid libavcodec directshow win32 libvorbis libmad
    Audio output: oss sdl mpegpes(file)
    Video output: xvidix sdl gif89a jpeg png mpegpes(file) aa opengl dga xv x11
  Disabled optional drivers:
    Input: tv-v4l cdda dvdnav dvdread dvdcss
    Codecs: opendivx divx5linux divx4linux real xanim
    Audio output: sgi sun alsa arts dxr2 nas
    Video output: zr dxr3 dxr2 vesa fbdev svga ggi xmga mga directfb tdfxfb 3dfx

'config.h' and 'config.mak' contain your configuration options.
Note: If you alter theses files (for instance CFLAGS) MPlayer may no longer
      compile *** DO NOT REPORT BUGS if you tweak these files ***

'make' will now compile MPlayer and 'make install' will install it.
Note: On non-Linux systems you might need to use 'gmake' instead of 'make'.

Check configure.log if you wonder why an autodetection failed (check whether the
development headers/packages are installed).

If you suspect a bug, please read DOCS/bugreports.html.

--
Rémi